Saturday, May 24, 2014

The One (The Selection #3) by Kiera Cass Review

Name: The One
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: May 6th, 2014
Format: E-Book
Buy the book on Amazon
336 pages

Summary:
The highly anticipated conclusion to Kiera Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series, The One will captivate readers who love dystopian YA fiction and fairy tales. 

The One is the perfect finale for fans who have followed America's whirlwind romance since it began--and a swoon-worthy read for teens who have devoured Veronica Roth's Divergent, Ally Condie's Matched, or Lauren Oliver's Delirium. 

The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of IllĂ©a, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen--and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants. 

Find out who America will choose in The One, the enchanting, beautifully romantic third book in the Selection series!
Goodreads

My Review:
After months of waiting, the final book in the Selection series, One, has been released. I'm not going to lie and say that I absolutely loved this book...because I didn't. I thought it was a fine ending to what started as a magnificent series. I absolutely LOVED the first book, and the second book fell flat for me. This book, I definitely went into with an open mind but again this book just didn't hit it for me.

First the bad: what really bothered me about this book was how rushed it was!!! Considering this was the last book in the series, I thought it would be at least 400 pages. I thought the beginning of the book definitely was at a good pace, but the ending of the book felt so rushed and it really left me unsatisfied. Some of the plotlines in this book were either dragged out for wayyy too long, or they were so so so so short. I also didn't like how little worldbuilding we got out of this series. I would have loved to learn more about how the society ended up with the castes and how they got to be under a King. There was so much more to be developed and I still had so many questions at the end of this book. What also disappointed me was that this book felt like it wasn't meant for the YA audience, I could see my middle school self reading this book and loving it, but as an older teen not so much. Yes, the book ended with ******SPOILER****** Maxon and America together which is what I really wanted, but the way Kiera Cass got to that result just didn't seem right to me.

What I did like about this book is of course the romance between Maxon and America. I think they are so sweet together and I am glad they ended up together. I also really liked the minor characters as well, it was nice to see America get along so well with her maids and other members in the royal guard. The drama in this book was great too! Definitely kept me on the edge of my seat at points (even though many parts were rushed).

Overall, what started as a phenomenal series for me ended up falling flat. If only there was more character development, world building, and being longer, I definitely would have liked this book more. Yes, the ending was happy and I was happy reading it--but as a series as a whole Kiera Cass could have done so much more with this book instead of rushing to finish it.


My Rating:










2 comments:

  1. Ugh, Sarah! I commented on this, but I think Feedly ate my comment! You know, I also loved the first book, while the second fell flat. VERY flat. I think it kind of speaks volumes that I feel I have everything I want from the book, knowing who America ends up with ;D

    Excellent, honest review xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. My eyes couldn't resist that spoiler, haha. Sorry, this was just okay.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!