Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sentinel (Covenant # 5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Review

Name: Sentinel (Covenant # 5)
Authors: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Release Date: November 2nd, 2013
Format: Paperback
Buy the book on Amazon
297 pages

Summary:
It's a beautiful day for a war.

As the mortal world slowly slips into chaos of the godly kind, Alexandria Andros must overcome a stunning defeat that has left her shaken and in doubt of their ability to end this war once and for all.

And with all the obstacles between Alex and her happily-ever-after with the swoonworthy Aiden St. Delphi, they must now trust a deadly foe as they travel deep into the Underworld to release one of the most dangerous gods of all time.

In the stunning, action-packed climax to the bestselling Covenant series, Alex must face a terrible choice: the destruction of everything and everyone she holds dear… or the end of herself.

Goodreads

My Review:


I started reading this series when it first came out three years ago, and no matter how old I've grown, I've always been unable to do anything but love JLA's books, and Sentinel is no exception!  This series started out strong, and finished just as strong.

Every time JLA comes out with a new book, I'm so impressed by the quality of the stories that she is able to craft.  I have been wondering for years how this series would end, and now that it is finally here, I can safely say that I would have never guessed any of it!  While it was wrapped up a bit neatly in the happily-ever-after kind of way, it wasn't done in a way that made me hate the ending.  Instead, I loved the way that it ended; I was hoping for a happily ever after and I got one; yet, at the same time, I didn't feel cheated.  Some hard things happened, and none of the characters ended up with exactly what they wanted, but it was nice to see some of them come pretty close!


As always, the main character Alex was fantastic.  One of the reasons I first started reading this book was because I loved her sassy humor and her headstrong character.  She really grew up in this book; she knew she would have to make some sacrifices, and she did them with the willingness and grace of someone who was much older than her.  I often talk about the progression of characters throughout novels and series, but watching Alex grow up was definitely in my top five favorite characters.  While I have always loved Aiden (seriously, he's perfect), he has always been so steady and unchanging, that it is hard to appreciate how everything around him has really affected him.  However, with Alex, the transformation is clear; she has become an entirely new person.  I cannot help but appreciate novels where the main characters really change by the events that happen around them.


I am so sad to see this series end.  I know JLA will continue to come out with plenty more fantastic books (she's a writing machine!), I will definitely miss all the characters I have met and the world that was created in this series.  I am very interested in Greek mythology and when books use Greek mythology well, I can't help but love them.  Sentinel was a wonderful conclusion to a fantastic series, and while I'm upset that there won't be any more books in this series (though I hear there will be a spin-off about Seth!!), I know that this is one series I will be re-reading in the future!

My Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!