Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday 114: Fire & Flood

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine

Name: Fire & Flood
Author: Victoria Scott
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: February 25th 2014
Add the book on Goodreads

A modern day thrill ride, where a teen girl and her animal companion must participate in a breathtaking race to save her brother's life—and her own. 

Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?
 Goodreads

My Thoughts:
I found this book after reading another one by Scott (called The Collector) which I didn't entirely love, but it might have just been because the plot was a bit cliched.  However, this story line sounds much more interesting (albeit a bit Hunger Games-esque), and I'm hoping that this will restore my faith in an author about whom I have heard nothing but great things.

What are your thoughts? What are you waiting for this week? Let us know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. I wasn't interested in The Collector, either (I haven't read it), but this one sounds way more exciting. I kind of dismissed it based on the author because I thought it was part of The Collector series, but now I think I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nice! I LOVED this one! Hope you enjoy it too!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed The Collector and The Liberator, but I'm especially excited to read this book! I have an ARC, which I should probably crack open... D: This one is on NetGalley! If you didn't know. But you probably did :) Happy reading!

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read The Collector. I've debated on picking it up several times just because of how much people rave about it, but I just have a thing about male POVs. I have a hard time connecting most of the time. However, I need need need NEED (did I say need enough) this book in my life pronto! I have been practically dying to read this one, and everytime I see someone with an ARC, I cry inside with jealousy, because Feb 25th seems sooooooo far away! :( Haha, but I'm glad you picked this for your WoW. It's definitely one I've been waiting on as you can see! :) Thanks for sharing!!

    -Becca @Pivot Book Reviews
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!