Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Collector (Dante Walker # 1) by Victoria Scott Review

Name: The Collector (Dante Walker # 1)
Authors: Victoria Scott
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: April 2nd, 2013
Format: E-book
Buy the book on Amazon
352 pages

Summary:
He makes good girls...bad. 

Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence have made him one of hell’s best—a soul collector. His job is simple: weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.


Sealing souls is nothing personal. Dante’s an equal-opportunity collector and doesn't want it any other way. But he’ll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment:


Collect Charlie Cooper’s soul within ten days.


Dante doesn't know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that’s a permanent ticket out of hell. But after Dante meets the quirky Nerd Alert chick he’s come to collect, he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector…and uncover emotions deeply buried.


Goodreads

My Review:

I had been hearing a lot of good things about this book, and about the main character, Dante Walker, before I started reading it, and so I decided to give it a try.  Unfortunately, I wasn't very impressed.  For starters, it was highly, highly predictable.  Bad boy meets ugly nerdy girl; boy dislikes girl but spends time with her because his mom asked him too, or because it's all a bet, or because it's the only way he can get out of hell; boy ends up falling for girl, and finds her beautiful all the same.  Obviously, being paranormal, this book had a few other interesting parts in it that caught my attention, but in the end, it was entirely predictable.

Enter bad boy: Dante Walker.  I have to admit that I did find him amusing at times.  He was funny, and once you read past his sarcastic and rude nature, he was a really sweet guy.  But, that being said, I did not find him to be anything spectacular.  He was no Daemon Black, like people had been comparing him too; I honestly just did not find him that interesting.  He was very entertaining, sure, and some of his remarks definitely had me laughing, but at the same time he just wasn't a character that I had stuck in my head for a while after finishing the book, which often happens after I read books that I love.  Enter good girl: Charlie Cooper.  She was nerdy and also quite funny, but in a different way than Dante.  She was a typical unpopular girl, and I didn't exactly love her as a character, but I didn't hate her either; she just didn't stand out.

The actual plot of the story wasn't too bad, besides the fact that it was predictable.  I actually did like the way that Victoria Scott wrote the book; even though I felt that I could predict almost every aspect of the book, I still wanted to keep reading just to find out what would happen next.  Overall, while I wasn't a huge fan of this book, I still enjoyed reading it, and if I run out of books to read I may check out the second book, just to see what happens next.

My Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!