Monday, February 6, 2012

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen Review

Name: Scarlet
Author: A.C. Gaughen
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Release Date: February 14, 2012
Format: Received as an ARC fron Netgalley and Walker Childrens!
Buy the Book on: Amazon
304 pages
Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance.

Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for
.-Goodreads

My Review:
I'm not going to lie, the first few chapters of this book were really hard for me to read. I really didn't like the writing style and I wasn't sure where the plot was going. After putting this book down and going back to it after a few days, however, I was able to get more into Scarlet and I was able to enjoy the last half of Scarlet.
Like I mentioned above, one of the hardest parts of this book for me to read was the writing style. I liked how the author made the book more authentic by making the characters speak like they actually did during this time period, but at times it was SO hard for me to understand!


Once the plot picked up, I really enjoyed seeing what would happen between Scarlet and Robin Hood. It was fun to see a different side of Robin Hood and see a different perspective on the story. I also liked the little added bit of romance to this book..it was very nice to see that added bonus to this book!


Overall, this wasn't the greatest book for me, but if you like retellings of classic stories, try giving Scarlet a shot!


My Rating: Three out of Five Stars

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, I was curious about this one, Sarah! I was actually thinking about it the other day... my best friend's a big fan of the UK TV Robin Hood series, and this came to mind... hmmm... I cna kind of see what you mean... like, that affected old-fashioned speech is sometimes harder to understand than the genuine deal, like, say, Shakespeare?

    Fab review--thanks for sharing your reservations on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, I just read a review that had a different vibe than yours but they had reservations about it too. I'm really curious about the writing now, I can't tell if I'll love it or hate it! It does get a bit difficult to read when they're talking all...old fashioned. It was interesting reading your review, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this quite a bit but it wasn't perfect for me either. I LOVED the characters, but the story itself wasn't as great as it could have been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive been eyeing this one lately but Ive also heard mixed reviews about this one, but Great Review girl! <3

    ✿FICBOOKREVIEWS✿

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this book! It was really, really good. I loved the angle that the author took to portray Robin Hood. I loved the fight scenes, the imperfect yet endearing gang, and finally, Scarlet herself. She was fantastic. I did NOT like the love triangle (or square?) at all, but got over it, because all ended well. This was a fantastic historical fiction book :D

    Thanks for the review!
    Alyssa Susanna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!